Sorry about the profanity. Fact is, though, predators deserve a lot worse language. Matter of fact, in one way or another, directly and indirectly, I have waged a public and private war against these silly bastards. So, rather than rail against them, rather than stringing together some inane profanity, mayhap you and I can talk about some unique tactics you can use if ever you come up against one or more of these sons of bitches (gees, I am nasty today) in a dark alley somewhere.
In case you did not read my post yesterday – “Load Surprise into your Self Defense Game Plan, Part I” – The Element of Surprise is a staple for any predator’s attack plan. It may come in the form of a distraction, such as asking you a seemingly harmless question, or dressing like a lawyer or a businessman and/or acting like a child’s uncle or preacher, or teacher until the horrifying second where he turns from a benevolent spirit into an abject minster
Well, how about turning the tables on this jerk by using the same strategy against him? How do we do this? By reacting to him the way his – The Predator – psychology expects his victim to respond. Simply put, the bad guy in many cases is confronting you because he – for whatever reason – sees an opportunity for an easy score. Therefore, most likely, he has marked you as a victim, and, after testing you by trailing you or asking a few questions, he is now in your face because he expects you to cave. The way I see it, you have two good options here. Actually, three (it is just that the third, giving up, saying nothing, and begging for your life, while still your choice to make, is unacceptable to this blog post.
- Immediately, upon recognizing that the Bad Guy is organizing an attack upon you, tell him to “Stay Back (or some other statement of outrage and verbal direction)!”; get into a fighting stance and prepare to defend yourself.
- Try to keep your distance so he can’t grab or assault you, tell him to lay off you, now! But prepare a survival strategy. If he grabs you, use a Surprise Counterattack.
THE SURPRISE EQUATION, PART I. BUILD UP THE BAD GUY’S EXPECTATIONS. The best way to Reverse the Predator-Prey Syndrome (where you become the predator and he suddenly becomes the prey) is to build up his confidence that his plan will succeed and allow him to relax his guard (false sense of security). So, what does the Bad Guy expect? Simple. He expects you to “fight like a girl, “ whch, when translated, means he expects you not to fight, or, if you do, to lash out aimlessly and powerlessly. So, Part I of this “Surprise Equation” means you will initially act as if you are terrified and have no idea what to do after, and only after, he grabs you, strikes you, etc.
THE SURPRISE EQUATION, PART II. PHYSICAL ACTING JOB. This is a key to the whole strategy. After he grabs you, pulls you closer, or grabs you and attempts tio pull you into an alley, car, or other secluded spot, your initial physical act is orchestrated to influence him to lower his guard and contribute to his own failure. A few Examples of this:
- The predator grabs you by the wrists or arms and starts dragging you toward an alley. Your first action is to do what he expects, and that is to pull away and lean back as you do. This ties in to his expectations and he will – believing that his arm strength is far superior to yours – try to break your foolish resistance by pulling you as hard as he can toward himself.
- The predator grabs you by the throat and/or shirt or hair and pulls you in close to him. He expects you to melt in fear. Allow yourself to be pulled in close (as much as this will be frightening) and appear to go limp. Feign crying and lay your head on his shoulder or neck, which is what he wants you to do. Chances are this will influence him to relax his guard a bit because this is what his “fantasy scenario” had scripted you to do.
- The predator grabs you by the shirt, neck or hair but does not pull you close. Instead, he keep you at arm’s length and makes a fist as if about to punch you. Appear to submit. Raise both hands in a Beg-For-Mercy Stance, waving both hands, palms outward in front of your face.
THE SURPRISE EQUATION PART III. THE S.N.E.A.K. ATTACK! The SNEAK Attack is where the surprise explodes in the Bad Guy’s Face. For instance, in the first scenario above, you have pulled away, knowing that the Bad Guy is stronger. When he uses his superior power to pull you toward him, use all his power to propel you into his Center-Line Targets (eyes, nose, throat, solar plexus, stomach, groin). Chances are good that he will not be prepared to block as he will be taken by surprise and he will be set back on his heels. Deliver as many strikes as fast as possible to open targets using your hands, head (butt), knees and feet. In the second scenario, once the Bad Guy pulls you close, he has put you in position to be the predator, no longer the prey. Go limp, maybe whimper, and, now, take the hand closest to his face and place it on his opposite shoulder. Quickly, and without warning (duhhh), hook your fingers inside his jawbone and drive your thumb hard into his eyes. If you succeed, he will undoubtably release his hold on you, at which time you need to nail him in the groin with a knee, and, after you gain some space, hit whatever Primary Targets (Groin, Eyes, Throat, Knees, Nose) as often as possible.
The third scenario is a dangerous one, but he has you in a perfect position for a choke or a punch to the face. The Bad Guy expects you to submit and to beg you not to hit him. This is why I have asked you to assume the “Compliance Stance (Please Don’t Hit Me).” From the compliance stance, beg the Bad Guy not to hit you, while slowly taking your strong hand and place it over top of his hand – the one that is holding you. Now, quickly, tighten your grip and secure his restraining hand to your body while simultaneously driving a Palm Heel Strike to the attacker’s face with the same side hand as the one that is restraining you. This will work because there is no way that he can block the incoming strike because his blocking hand is tied up. Keep hold of his hand and, now, drive your shin or knee into his groin or another target.
Part III< Improvised Weapon Surprise. Until then, Stay Safe