NOW THAT WE KNOW MORE about the tragic massacre at the Sutherland (Texas) Baptist Church, let’s add one more bulwark against your workplace (school, church, temple, mosque, et al.) making the next 11:00 news..the tragic victim of the next active killer.
This comes as no surprise to me or other experts you may have heard on CNN or other such channels. Experts who have speculated within an hour or so of the shooting that there probably is some domestic connection between the maniac and the church’s congregation. Turns out there was. Days before the attack, the killer emailed lethal threats to the mother of his estranged spouse (I believe).
Why am I writing about this?
I am pointing this out because in case after case concerning active shooters – no matter the venue – there is such a connection.
I write about and teach “Managing Workplace Violence.” And here is the long and the short of preventing a future destroyed by some miscreant with a gun, a rifle, a bomb marching through your workplace like Sherman marching through Georgia….
Domestic Violence leaking into the workplace is one of the key factors in workplace violence!
And that is, whenever possible, be aware of any serious domestic discord among your employees, congregation, etc. Let’s review:
- TRY TO BE AWARE OF ANY SERIOUS DOMESTIC PROBLEMS AMONG YOUR CONGREGATION. I know. Not easy to do, but as many progressive and safety-conscious facilities have started doing, begin communications…
- DEVELOP AND TRAIN “ELITE” MEMBERS OF YOUR CONGREGATION TO MAXIMIZE SECURITY.
- ARM AND TRAIN YOUR SECURITY. MAKE YOUR FACILITY A “HARD TARGET” INSTEAD OF A VULNERABLE SOFT TARGET.
- DEVELOP A PROTOCOL(S) THAT COVERS POTENTIAL & REAL VIOLENCE.
- SECURITY STARTS WITH “FAMILY.” Arrange for “tactical seating,” with father (armed), sitting on outside, quick to action. Teach children what to do and how to react (like a fire drill).
NEXT POST. “LEFT OF BANG” AND WORKPLACE SAFETY!
Until then, Stay safe.