ONE CRUCIAL CONCEPT that all too often escapes many martial arts and self defense instructors is exactly how and when do you know that all the bull crap – the pre-attack posturing, intimidation, testing and what not – has ended and the bad ass is about to throw the first punch?
THOUGHT I would share with you, then, some of my sure-fire signs that a fist or foot is about to be introduced to your face or ass. What do you think?
HAMMER’S SURE-FIRE SIGNS A FIST OR FOOT IS ABOUT OPEN UP A CAN OF WHUP-ASS!
“HIT HIM NOW” SIGNS. When the following phenomenon occur, these are Decision Points! Stop Thinking and Hit Him Square and Hit Him Fast!
- 3 MAJOR SIGNS THE FIGHT IS ON.”
- Body Language.
- Ø The Hiatus: The Bad Guy goes quiet, looks away for a second, then turns back to you, followed by a
- Ø Target Stare. The Bad Guy will look at wherever he is going to strike you a second or so before he does it.
- Ø The Finger Jab. The Bad Guy is “testing the waters.” If you do nothing, you are telling him “c’mon in. The waters fine.” Like I said in the lead in to these factors, hit him now!
- Ø The Shove. According to Jacov Bresler, an Israeli self defense guru, “a shove is always followed by a punch.”
- Ø The Chin Drop. Jacov Bresler also propounds that the Chin Drop is the Bad Guy’s instinctive act of protecting his or her neck and that a Chin Drop always means trouble.
- Ø The Initial Strike. Never allow the Bad Guy to strike you – even when the hit appears to be semi-harmless – without you counter punching immediately! If he strikes you once, there is little doubt that he will hit you again, this time harder.
- Body Language.
- The Threat.
- Ø A threat is always a Signature of danger. A Red Flag you must heed.
- Ø Many novices do nothing when faced with an obvious
- Ø A distinctive threat (as opposed to one you think is one implicitly) is a sign the Bad Guy is ramping up his courage, confidence and emotions to give him the wherewithal to carry out an attack.
- Ø Things will escalate fast following a threat!
- Sudden Silence.
- Ø Sudden Silence is a reliable Signature Of Danger because—
- Ø The Bad Guy is holding an internal dialog about what he is about to do to you.
- Ø Fighting Arts Rule: Fighters do not talk and fight.
BANG HIM UP WITH AN AUTOMATIC RESPONSE.
- Key Elements That Create An Automatic Decision Point, at which point you need not to think about it. Just Bang Away>
- Ø The Combination of Bad Body Language, A Verbal Threat and Sudden Silence, plus—
- Ø When the Bad Guy moves inside your PSZ (Personal Safety Zone), especially after you warned him: “Hey, man, stop. You don’t need to come any closer!” Any “normal” dude will stop right then and there. If he keeps on coming, nail him right there! Thing is, though, even though I am advocating lashing out when he penetrates your PSZ, you must mentally prepare (Spinal Tune) yourself as he begins to step in.
- Ø Your gut-instincts are going hay wire. Danger! Danger!).
- Ø CROSSING THE LINE. The key here is to define a “Line” that the Bad Guy has to cross for you to automatically respond. On one side of that line, the person is just an annoying jerk; but, when he crosses that “line,” he becomes a Bad Guy.
Not only does this knowledge prepare you with an Automatic Response that will help to ameliorate any indecision (indecisiveness gives the appearance of weakness to a Bully), it will also alleviate the fear that you can be arrested and charged with assault. This fear is justifiable; and it is a fear most criminals and bullies do not share. In my mid, they are A-social animals who rarely share your concerns and values. But, think of it, if you follow The Hammer’s rationale, you have observed his body language, have asked him and warned him nicely not to come any closer, and, in contrast, he, the attacker, has ignored your warning, has threatened you, has moved closer, has jabbed his finger into your chest and maybe even struck you before your righteously retaliated.
Until next time, Stay Safe.