My Kid Escape and/or Date Escape Training System works on some fundamental and simple principles. Simple, easily-done and reliable under stress. Why is that important? Because when a child, teenager, or even an adult victim is attacked, it is almost always a surprise. In less than two seconds, the victim will experience a myriad of visual, auditory, cognitive and physical dysfunctions because his or her central nervous system will be flooded with stress hormones.
This will almost always (98%) result in the victim freezing upon first touch, holding his or her breath and going mute! Making him or her the Ideal Victim, by the by…
Kid Escape, therefore, teaches skills in observation, awareness (of others, the environment and others, and inculcates a trigger-mechanism advocating a series of tactics once the child is aware of danger. Some of these tactics are designed to get the kid moving (counter-freezing) and verbalizing so that the (potential) molester knows that his intended victim knows what he is up to, and, by verbalizing, so do others nearby become aware.
KID/DATE ESCAPE LIFE PRESERVING TACTICS
- Trigger the Tactics.
- Move, talk, Isolate the potential abductor.
- Seek out barricades in the environment (garbage cans; benches; tables; backpack(s); rocks & boulders, et al.
- Seek out good hiding places.
- Move toward others who are “safe (mothers with children).”
- Find Improvised Weapons and Shields (broomsticks, garbage can lids, rocks).
- Now, if the bad guy is able to surprise his victim and comes close enough to grab the child:
- Crab Walk away. Keep facing the bad guy and “walk” backwards using his or her hands.
- Shirt-On-Fire. If standing and able, run away from the bad guy. Always run in a zig-zag fashion but turn back and look at the bad guy as you run. Also, use barricades to separate you from the bad guy if he pursues. “Shirt-On-Fire” is a great Escape & Evasion tactic. In training sessions, I ask my students to pretend their shirt and pants are on fire. Drop to the ground and roll as if trying to put out the fire! Why is this effective? Well, if you are an adult, especially over 40 (most pedophiles are 40 and above), take this test: Find a child or teenager and try to grab and hold them. Now, just as you are about to gran the child, have him or her drop and roll. Unless you are in great shape and spry, it’s going to take you several minutes to grab and hold that kid.
- Delay Rocks! If you’ve read my past posts, you know that the last thing a child predator wants in the crime scene is a delay. In almost 100% of cases, in the Shirt On Fire scenario will give up.
- Drop-Lock & Roll. If the bad guy does, however, glom onto the kid, there is still hope with the Kid Escape System. Until the next post when I will explain how you can teach your child how to escape, Stay Safe!